Step Parent Adoption Lawyer Ogden, UT
If you are thinking of adopting a child, our Ogden, UT step parent adoption lawyer is happy to discuss the process with you.
The team at Felt Family Law & Mediation will assist you in the process so you can focus on love and relationships. We are well equipped to assist with step parent adoption and will do so with care, consideration, and attention to your specific needs. We encourage you to contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation.
Step Parent Adoption Qualifications
As a stepparent, in order to qualify to adopt your stepchild, one must complete a series of essential steps.
- You must be married to the child’s parents.
- Consent – both your spouse, and the stepchild must consent to the adoption.
- The other parent must consent to terminate their parental rights, with the exception of when that parent has already terminated their rights.
- Background checks must also be passed.
- Legal commitments must be made to care for the child as if it was your own.
The most common scenario where stepparent adoptions become a viable option for a family, is when one of the biological parents is not involved in the child’s life, and the other biological parent marries someone who steps into a parental role. The process of stepparent adoption enables the stepparent to have all of the responsibilities and rights of a biological parent, including possibly being liable for child support in the event of divorce. This being said, a step parent adoption can prove to be beneficial for both the adopting step parent, and the stepchild who is being considered for adoption.
Adopting without Parental Consent
There are ways to initiate a stepparent adoption when the other biological parent does not consent to terminate their parental rights. Scenarios where adoption without parental consent is potentially viable:
- Abandonment – When a parent is found to have abandoned their child, parental rights may be terminated without question, eliminating the need for parental consent.
- Challenging Paternity – If the presumed birth parent is not really the biological parent of the child, parental rights may be terminated.
Same Sex Couples – In same-sex relationships, stepparent or second parent adoption is often used to ensure parental rights. A non-biological parent may use this process to have their parental rights recognized in the case of a biological parent.
Ogden, UT Step Parent Adoption Lawyer
In Utah, the rights of parents are stipulated in the Constitution, and it is sometimes difficult to meet the burden of terminating the rights of the other parent. If you want to seek adoption by stepparents, it is important to talk to a lawyer who is experienced in adoption and parental rights. Felt Family Law & Mediation is able to provide you with advice on parental rights and help guide you through the stepparent adoption process. Our team will work with you to thoroughly understand your unique situation and create a plan of action and work to help achieve the most desirable outcome.